Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Should Be At School Right Now

No updates on the Thirteen Society, but I might be taking on Lou later tonight. We'll have to see.

The reason I'm writing this right now is because of the personal rants section. I've got one I'd like to inflict upon the helpless internet. See, as the blog post title implies, I should be at school right now, but I'm not. The reason? I didn't wake up until 1:30 PM, and when you've missed that much of school you may as well blow off the rest. Now, this is an issue because it's hard to graduate if you don't attend.

The problem's been going on for a while, with me usually not waking up until around 11:00. The blow from this has been softened by the fact that I do not, in fact, have any classes until 3rd period, but I am supposed to be doing Biology independent study during 1st, and I do need those credits. So I've been working on a way to solve this problem for a while now. I've tried a couple of different things, like telling myself over and over again that I'd get up with my alarm the next morning (it's worked in the past, but not now), going to bed an hour or two earlier (didn't work at all), and changing the music that my alarm plays to wake me up (worked, sort of, in that my alarm can now reliably wake me up but there's nothing that can reliably keep me up).

Now, there's two parts of this problem. I can wake up reliably, but I can't stay up reliably. The only time I've managed that was when my mother had some patients from the mental hospital coming over at 9:00. These patients aren't dangerous at all, but it would be a breach of hospital policy for them to interact with their doctor's family, so that got me out of the house around 8:50. If I can find a way to replicate that time-sensitive kind of incentive every day...

Unfortunately, things just got more complicated. My mother recently got irritated with me for this, and when my mother gets irritated, logic flies straight out the window. She doesn't care about what might actually work, she only cares about what makes her feel good, and later on, when she's calmed down and some part of her has realized that her idea is over-emotional and likely to cause more harm than good, she doesn't listen because she'd too arrogant to admit that she could possibly be wrong. And also, she likes to blame the computer for everything. Everything.

So now I've solved one problem but stumbled across another. I need to find a way to prevent my mother from meddling with my business, because so long as she is, I have to put my experiments on hold so that her inevitable failure will convince her to give up (probably while blaming me for everything). This means less time with which to salvage my grades in time for graduation, especially since she's likely to continue attempting her method long after it's become clear that it isn't working. If I continue my experiments during her meddling, and they prove to be successful, then she'll think it was her that changed things, even though I've already ruled out my sleep schedule as a significant contributor to the problem, so she'll keep kicking me off the computer excessively early in the night, thinking that it's helped.

I also, of course, need to find a way to keep myself awake after my alarm gets me up. I don't have a solution for that one, but I do have a solution for my mother. Unfortunately, it's pretty drastic. See, I'm eighteen years old now. I can leave my parent's house whenever I want, and don't have to come back, ever. So, I could always just leave her house entirely, in which case there's not anything she could do about it. But this means I'll need to find some place else to stay, so, not a perfect plan.

I've got a few ideas as to how to get myself to stay up after waking up, too. For example, telling myself to wake up over and over again before going to sleep didn't work, but telling myself to stay awake might. It also occurred to me that if someone I consider to be helpful (i.e. one of my friends) instead of someone I consider to be hostile (i.e. my mother) woke me up, it'd give me incentive to wake up just because I don't want them to have wasted their time. But I don't see any of my friends walking to my house to wake me up every morning.

The perfect solution to this, of course, would be my living at a friend's house, and having them wake me up in the morning. But then I'd have to find a friend whose house I could live at. And also, I should probably wait to see if the problem with my mother will solve itself, as it does occasionally when she no longer has the emotional drive to follow through with a spectacularly bad plan.

And now to roll the dice!

The Manhattan Project

Did you know that the Doc from Back to the Future was supposed to have worked on the Manhattan Project? Evidently that's how he knew how to handle the Plutonium that the Libyan terrorists gave him.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Manhattan Project. On the one hand, the nuke has probably prevented a lot of wars. I'm almost positive the USSR and USA would have gone to blows if it weren't for mutually assured destruction. On the other hand, they're nukes. They're the first superweapons mankind has ever dreamed up. Seriously, World War II was the day the future started happening (which supports my "real life is a TV show" theory, because what better way to usher in a new era of the show than to stage a massive crossover between all the biggest characters?). Science fiction can barely keep up with our advancing technology, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment